Public Officers and Public Authorities are expected to report misconduct and maladministration to us.

Learn more about making reports.

If you are not a public officer and wish to make a complaint (including a complaint about misconduct or maladministration), please go to:  Make a complaint.

For public officers and public authorities

Please read the Ombudsman’s directions and guidelines before making a report about misconduct or maladministration to Ombudsman SA. The directions and guidelines include the Ombudsman’s expectations for reporting, and information about the process.

Find out more about the directions and guidelines here.

Both ‘public officer’ and ‘public authority’ are defined in Schedule 1 of the Independent Commission Against Corruption Act 2012. There is a table of public officers and public authorities in the directions and guidelines.

Misconduct is defined in section 4(1) of the Ombudsman Act as:

  • Misconduct in public administration means an intentional and serious contravention of a code of conduct by a public officer while acting in their capacity as a public officer that constitutes a grounds for disciplinary action against the officer
  • Maladministration in public administration−
    • (a) means─
      • (i) conduct of a public officer, or a practice, policy or procedure of a public authority, that results in an irregular and unauthorised use of public money or substantial mismanagement of public resources; or
      • (ii) conduct of a public officer involving substantial mismanagement in or in relation to the performance of official functions; and
    • (b) includes conduct resulting from impropriety, incompetence or negligence; and
    • (c) is to be assessed having regard to relevant statutory provisions and administrative instructions and directions.

Complete the online 'make a report' form

Where a report relates to matters that are, in the Ombudsman’s opinion, sensitive, complex or of significant public interest, a report may be made in person to an officer of Ombudsman SA, which can be organised by contacting our office on 8226 8699 or by email:

If you do not have internet access, you can send your report to:

Ombudsman SA
PO Box 3651
(08) 8226 8699 or 1800 182 150 (outside metro SA only)

We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 business days.

If you need help making a complaint, you can ask a representative (such as a relative, carer, solicitor or Member of Parliament) to make it on your behalf.

If you require assistance

Non-English speaking people can get assistance from the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 (within Australia).

If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment the National Relay Service can be contacted on 133 677 (TTY/voice calls) or 1300 555 727 (Speak & Listen).