Ombudsman SA can investigate ‘administrative acts’ of:
- State government departments (eg Planning, Transport, & Infrastructure; Education & Child Development; Primary Industries and Regions),
- State government authorities (eg Housing SA; Public Trustee; Lotteries Commission) and
- Local councils.
We do not have the power to investigate actions and decisions of:
- the South Australian Police
- employers – which affect their employees
- private persons, businesses or companies
- Commonwealth or interstate government agencies
- government Ministers and Cabinet
- courts and judges
- legal advisers to the Crown.
Possible complaints may include the process an agency used to make a decision, a delay in taking any action, any requirement which an agency has placed on you which you believe is unreasonable, or the conduct of staff.
However, it’s important to note that Ombudsman SA does not exist as a means of appeal against a decision by an agency with which you disagree. Ombudsman SA will only look to see that the process was reasonable and fair, and that the decision is not unreasonable or unlawful.
Prior to lodging a complaint, you should ensure that you have read through our complaints section. We will also expect that you have lodged a formal complaint with the agency concerned and given them time to resolve the issue.
If you have a complaint about a Commonwealth government department you should seek the assistance of the Commonwealth Ombudsman http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/.
- Commonwealth Ombudsman, http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/, phone 1300 362 072
- New South Wales Ombudsman, http://www.ombo.nsw.gov.au/, phone (02) 9286 1000
- Northern Territory Ombudsman, http://www.ombudsman.nt.gov.au/, phone (08) 8999 1818
- Queensland Ombudsman, http://www.ombudsman.qld.gov.au/, phone (07) 3005 7000
- Tasmanian Ombudsman, http://www.ombudsman.tas.gov.au/, phone 1300 766 725
- Victorian Ombudsman, http://www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au/, phone (03) 9613 6222
- Western Australian Ombudsman, http://www.ombudsman.wa.gov.au/, phone (08) 9220 7555